Tuesday, June 21, 2005

NMC 2005 initial thoughts

The New Media Consortium's Summer Conference was great ... well organized, a range of conceptual to practial sessions, fantastic venue and most of all ... an enthusiastic, grounded and exceptional group of people!

The opening and closing keynotes, by Henry Jenkins and Stephanie Barish respectively, were both related to new media literacy and were an excellent frame for the conference; focusing us all on learning in the 21st Century. The presentations are now going online and most are being linked from within the conference website.

The highlight for me was attending the 3-day, pre-conference digital storytelling workshop run by Joe Lambert and Emily Paulos, the co-directors of the Center for Digital Storytelling at Berkeley. I cannot recommend this workshop strongly enough. If you'd like to sign up for one of these, see their 2005 schedule. And if you want to know more, download their free cookbook (pdf).

I'll post later about one or two of the sessions I attended.

Finally, thanks to Larry, Nancy, Rachel and Adam from the NMC, and also the hosts from the Digital Media Center at the University of Hawaii for a brill event!

2 Comments:

At 7:51 AM, Blogger Nancy White said...

Nick, I have'nt looked at your story yet, but I will. But I wanted to just share I took the workshop nearly 6 years ago and even though I have never followed up with the skills, it was an extraordinary experience of the power for the storyteller of creating the story. My story started out being about my trip to Italy for my 40th birthday party and ended up being about the elders in my family, one of whom died shortly after I returned.

I have it on disk somewhere, not quite finished.

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Nick Noakes said...

Hiya Nancy

I hope you will post it sometime! :-)

Nick

 

Post a Comment

<< Home